This role reports directly into the Principal Engineers, with minimal supervision. The Design Engineer will design equipment, specify components with supporting calculations, create drawings and produce technical documentation.
Duties will include:
- This role would suit a qualified Mechanical Engineer with a minimum 3 years design experience in industrial, marine or subsea applications.
- The role will involve designing and draughting equipment for a variety of marine-based handling applications including the following tasks:
- Creation of engineering documentation such as design reports, interface control diagrams, etc
- Design verification through hand calculations and finite element analysis (FEA)
- The post will offer a variety of challenges including the provision of innovative design solutions for demanding applications, providing technical input to bids and enquiries and solving problems experienced during equipment build and test in the workshop.
- Support for in-service issues may also form part of the role.
- Occasional travel within the UK and overseas will be required.
Essential skills, experience and knowledge requirements:
The successful candidate must;
- BSc or BEng in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) or relevant Apprenticeship with HNC
- Experience with solid modeling using Cad tools
- Experience of stress analysis using hand calculations and finite element analysis.
- Track record of creating and checking high quality production drawings
- A flair for problem solving and innovation, a flexible approach to work activities.
- Intermediate or better Microsoft Office skills
Your future at MacTaggart Scott – What we offer you.
- As part of our Healthy Work-Life Balance employees can choose between a 4- or 5-day working week. Allowing you to fit work around your priorities and personal life, not the other way round.
- Flexible working hours between 07:00 and 19:00, and core hours of 09:30 – 15:30.
- Our leave policy brings together leave entitlements which include annual leave, paid parental leave, military reservist leave, plus more.
- We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career, with a dedicated Learning and Development team.
- At MacTaggart Scott, your health and safety is one of our top priorities, and our onsite H&S team take a rigorous approach in managing risks and protecting you. Our H&S committee meets regularly to carry out their own checks and discuss what MTS can do to improve our standards.
- A generous referral programme.
- Your wellbeing is supported through our online wellbeing program and committee, as well as our Employee Assistance Programme, and an onsite nurse.
- Onsite Canteen and Car Park
MacTaggart Scott primarily supports the Naval Defence industry, providing complete solutions to customer needs from analysis of initial customer requirements, to design and manufacture, and right through to commissioning and through life support. Established in 1898, we are proud of our history and tradition, but believe that sustainable competitive advantage can only be achieved through continuous improvement, investment, and a commitment to business excellence at every level within the company.
The successful candidate must hold or be able to meet the appropriate Security Clearance as required. The security clearance restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.