Health and Safety Manager
This role reports directly into the Production Director. The purpose of this role is to be responsible for providing strategic and pro-active leadership for Health & Safety. Also to develop, implement and maintain Health & Safety best practice, ensuring all functions of the business comply with current health & safety legislation, acts, regulations, official guidance and standards.
Duties will include:
- To develop, implement, monitor and maintain Health & Safety strategies, policies and procedures, risk assessments and safe working practices.
- To monitor, evaluate and review existing, new and upcoming Health & Safety legislation and ensure the business has systems and arrangements in place to meet legal compliance.
- To continually assess the status of Health & Safety within the business, identify areas of improvement and develop new policies and systems of work to address these.
- To ensure the provision of clear, consistent, relevant, and timely advice and support.
- Regularly undertake working practice audits and workplace inspections to proactively identify where health & management practices can be improved and provide the necessary guidance to implement the improvement.
- Identify and set performance metrics and objectives for the business, individual functions and departments based on appropriate proactive and reactive measurement standards.
- Carry out investigations and report on accidents, incidents and any dangerous occurrences.
- Collate and analyse accident and “near miss” incident statistics and recommend intervention strategies to eliminate/reduce the risk of similar future occurrences and incidents.
- Ensure any new equipment or changes to processes are subject to appropriate risk control measures.
- Identify employee training needs and develop management controls to ensure the training is continually updated, addressed and records are maintained.
- Organise regular fire drills and liaise with emergency services as necessary, regarding emergency procedures, communications and fire safety.
Essential skills, experience and knowledge requirements:
The successful candidate must;
- Have a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent qualification in health and safety management.
- Provide evidence validating commitment to their continuous professional development.
- Have experience in a Health & Safety Management role.
- Have demonstrable knowledge and understanding of primary Health and Safety legislation, regulations and codes of practice pertaining to the manufacturing industry.
- Provide evidence of promoting a positive Health & Safety culture in a manufacturing environment.
- Have experience in developing effective solutions to resolve complex Health and Safety issues.
- Have experience of investigating, reporting and analysing risks, accidents, incidents and dangerous occurrences.
- Experience or clear knowledge and understanding of undertaking Health and Safety audits, inspections or reviews.
- Experience of delivering health and safety training courses including Inductions and Toolbox talks.
The successful candidate must hold, or be able to meet the requirements of, MOD Security Clearance.