Project Engineer (Hydraulics)
MacTaggart Scott are looking to recruit a Project Engineer (Hydraulics) will provide the technical lead for projects. The Project Engineer will manage activities to ensure that design solutions are delivered on time, to budget and meet customer expectations.
This role reports directly into the Principle Engineer and will be minimally supervised. The Project Engineer role will consist of the management and execution of cost effective design solutions to the agreed plans within the constraints of the budget. The creation of clearly defined work packages for engineers within the design team. The effective management of risk and engineering change throughout the design process. Effective communication and the maintenance of positive working relationships across the business. In addition through the ability to persuade and influence others to achieve departmental and organisational objectives.
Duties will include:
- Take responsibility for the engineering content of a variety of marine based projects, including leading the project design team, technical compliance, budget and programme management and customer communication.
- Ensure thorough project awareness from the initial requirement specification through to final customer acceptance is essential.
- Provide innovative design solutions within timescale and budget, including authoring and checking supporting calculations and analysis.
- Ensure that the product costs are established and optimized throughout the design evolution.
- Provide technical input to bids and enquiries.
- Solve problems experienced during equipment build and test in the workshop.
- Support for in-service issues.
- Identify areas of risk in the delivery to the project schedule or cost and plan mitigation work.
- Assist to coordinate and drive risk management across the design projects.
- Assist with ensuring that Lessons Learned is actively implemented in a timely manner within the design project schedules.
Essential skills, experience and knowledge requirements:
The successful candidate must have;
- BSc or BEng in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) or relevant Apprenticeship with HNC.
- Hydraulic systems experience
- Experience with solid modeling design tools
- A flair for problem solving and innovation, a flexible approach to work activities
- Track record of creating and checking high quality production drawings
- Intermediate or better Microsoft Office skills
- Track record of leading technical projects.
Your future at MacTaggart Scott – What we offer you.
- As part of our Healthy Work-Life Balance employees can choose between a 4- or 5-day working week. Allowing you to fit work around your priorities and personal life, not the other way round.
- Flexible working hours between 07:00 and 19:00, and core hours of 09:30 – 15:30.
- Our leave policy brings together leave entitlements which include annual leave, paid parental leave, military reservist leave, plus more.
- We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career, with a dedicated Learning and Development team.
- At MacTaggart Scott, your health and safety is one of our top priorities, and our onsite H&S team take a rigorous approach in managing risks and protecting you. Our H&S committee meets regularly to carry out their own checks and discuss what MTS can do to improve our standards.
- A generous referral programme.
- Your wellbeing is supported through our online wellbeing program and committee, as well as our Employee Assistance Programme, and an onsite nurse.
- Onsite Canteen and Car Park
MacTaggart Scott primarily supports the Naval Defence industry, providing complete solutions to customer needs from analysis of initial customer requirements, to design and manufacture, and right through to commissioning and through life support. Established in 1898, we are proud of our history and tradition, but believe that sustainable competitive advantage can only be achieved through continuous improvement, investment, and a commitment to business excellence at every level within the company.
The successful candidate must hold or be able to meet the appropriate Security Clearance as required. The security clearance restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.