Trade Compliance Officer
MacTaggart Scott are looking to recruit a Trade Compliance Officer, to work within Import and Export Department. This is an opportunity to be part of a team that ensure MacTaggart Scott trade effectively and in accordance with the required regulation. The Trade Compliance officer will be responsible for the administrative tasks associated with trade compliance and customs process. The post holder will work with minimal supervision and report to the Import, Export and Compliance Manager.
This role will give the successful candidate exposure to UK and other foreign governmental laws and regulations. The role provides autonomy over the processing Trade and Custom’s documented procedures. They will assist in maintaining accurate and complete records in accordance with company procedures and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. The post holder will work with minimal supervision and report to the Import, Export and Compliance Manager.
Duties will include:
- Managing Processes & Documentation
- To be the initial point of contact for import clearance requests from freight forwarders and to progress clearance requests in a timely manner.
- The preparation of Customs Clearance Instructions in accordance with HMRC rules to enable the importation of goods through the UK Customs Border.
- The preparation of Customs Movement Instructions to enable the movement of goods under customs supervision between our HMRC special authorizations.
- Ensuring that all customs paperwork is collected, reviewed, filed correctly and to escalate any issues to the freight forwarder and EXIM Manager as required.
- Ensuring that the HMRC authorization control spreadsheets are maintained in accordance with MTS procedures.
- The preparation of Commercial Invoices for exports in line with MTS procedures.
- The preparation of quarterly and annual reports for HMRC and UK Government departments
- The preparation of Commodity Classification requests for 3rd parties
- Maintain and apply for export licences in the Government SPIRE System
- Keeping up to date with the UK, EU and US Government regulations for Imports and Exports.
- Identifying any unusual transactions when reviewing the monthly HMRC MSS reports
- Ensuring that Invoices for Customs entries and Movements are progressed to Finance with the relevant cost collection details in a timely manner.
- Monitoring the funds remaining in the HMRC deferment account and escalate the requirement when additional funds are required to the treasury manager.
- Assisting the treasury manager in the maintenance of the CDS portal on the Government Gateway
- Influencing and working with teams across the business to drive compliance, learning and good practice.
- Assisting with reporting and audit tasks.
- Assisting with the planning and implementation of import/export strategy and activities consistent with overall aims and requirements of organizational targets.
Essential skills, experience and knowledge requirements:
The successful candidate must;
- Good interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and problem solving
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Demonstratable willingness for continuous professional development and learning
- Tertiary Level Education
Your future at MacTaggart Scott – What we offer you.
- As part of our Healthy Work-Life Balance employees can choose between a 4- or 5-day working week. Allowing you to fit work around your priorities and personal life, not the other way round.
- Flexible working hours between 07:00 and 19:00, and core hours of 09:30 – 15:30.
- Our leave policy brings together leave entitlements which include annual leave, paid parental leave, military reservist leave, plus more.
- We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career, with a dedicated Learning and Development team.
- A generous referral programme.
- Your wellbeing is supported through our online wellbeing program as well as our Employee Assistance Programme and an onsite nurse.
- Onsite Canteen and Car Par
MacTaggart Scott primarily supports the Naval Defence industry, providing complete solutions to customer needs from analysis of initial customer requirements, to design and manufacture, and right through to commissioning and through life support. Established in 1898, we are proud of our history and tradition, but believe that sustainable competitive advantage can only be achieved through continuous improvement, investment, and a commitment to business excellence at every level within the company.
The successful candidate must hold or be able to meet the appropriate Security Clearance as required. The security clearance restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.