This role reports directly into the Chief Inspector. The purpose of the role is to ensure that all welding at the pre, during and post welding stages is conducted in accordance with the applicable drawings, standards and codes. They will also conduct non-destructive testing utilising the appropriate / stated methods of VT, MT, PT or UT, and dimensional checks pre and post welding.
In addition, you can expect a competitive salary and benefits package along with the opportunity to 37hours compressed hours week Monday – Thursday.
Duties will include:
- Check / review all relevant documentation:-
- Applicable standards / code for visual acceptance requirements
- Drawings – item details and positions / tolerances etc.
- Quality control procedures
- Process / QC inspection plans etc.
- WPS requirements
- Welder qualification
- Check all consumables (including storage, distribution and usage)
- Check parent materials, dimensions, and condition
- Preheating, method, and temperature
- Check fit and set-up
- Ensure no undue stress is applied to the joint
- Check environment for cross contamination
- Check welding equipment and calibration
- Check WPS parameter compliance and correct heat input
- Compliance with welding processes / WPS
- Ensure the correct technique, run sequence
- Check runout lengths, time-lapses
- Cleaning between passes
- Inter-pass temperatures
- Dimensional accuracy
- Consumable control
- Oversee weld records
- Post cleaning
- Visual inspection of completed welded joint
- Check weld contour and width
- Review PWHT
- Dimensional accuracy
- Review Weld records
- Conduct NDT in accordance with specifications
- Monitor and document any rework / repairs for compliance to procedure etc.
Essential skills, experience and knowledge requirements:
The successful candidate must;
- Registered CSWIP 3.1 weld inspector
- Registered PCN Level 2 VT, MPI, DP, UT
- Have excellent communication skills and confidence in dealing with internal customers and departments.
- Have a methodical and organised work ethic in order to prioritise work, whilst setting and meeting deadlines on a weekly basis.
- Have the ability to work both on their own and as part of a team.
- Have a good working knowledge of MS Office.
Your future at MacTaggart Scott – What we offer you.
- A 4- day working week. Allowing you to fit work around your priorities and personal life, not the other way round.
- Hours of 07:00 – 16:45 and Opportunity for overtime (Job Dependent)
- Night Shift Allowance (Job dependent)
- Our leave policy brings together leave entitlements which include annual leave, paid parental leave, military reservist leave, plus more.
- We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career, with a dedicated Learning and Development team.
- A generous referral programme.
- Your wellbeing is supported through our online wellbeing program as well as our Employee Assistance Programme and an onsite nurse.
- Onsite Canteen and Car Park.
MacTaggart Scott primarily supports the Naval Defence industry, providing complete solutions to customer needs from analysis of initial customer requirements, to design and manufacture, and right through to commissioning and through life support. Established in 1898, we are proud of our history and tradition, but believe that sustainable competitive advantage can only be achieved through continuous improvement, investment, and a commitment to business excellence at every level within the company.
The successful candidate must hold or be able to meet the appropriate Security Clearance as required. The security clearance restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.